The national mapping agency in Angola is the Instituto
Geodesía e Cartografia de Angola (IGCA), Luanda. In
the colonial period prior to independence in 1975
Portuguese agencies established map series in the country.
These were based upon the Polyconic projection, Clarke
1880 ellipsoid, and included a 1:100,000 scale map
compiled using aerial photography and modern geodetic
control, which was to cover the country in 468 sheets.
Photography was completed by 1964 and slow progress was
made in the publication of five-color maps, which each
covered half-degree quadrangles and showed relief with a
50 m contour interval. A derived 1:250,000 scale series in 60
sheets was available in the mid-1970s. Little is known about
the post-independence topographic mapping in the country.
The best available mapping of the country that exists is Soviet military topographic coverage,
available at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (13 sheets, complete coverage, published 1977-1983);
1:500,000 (33 sheets, complete coverage, published 1978-1987) and 1:200,000 (200 sheets, complete coverage, published 1979-1986). These
products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.