The Instituto Cubano de Geodesia y Cartografía (ICGC),
Havana, was founded in 1967 to be responsible for all
geodetic, cartographic, remote sensing and cadastral activities
in Cuba. During the 1970s, first, second and third order
triangulation networks were completed. Basic mapping
programs were initiated at scales of 1:10,000 and
1:25,000, completed in 1980. Series at scales
of 1:50,000; 1:100,000; 1:250,000 and 1:500,000 have also
been completed. Topographic mapping is on a Lambert
conformal conic projection, Clarke 1866 ellipsoid.
Recently, ICGC was merged with the Instituto Cubano de
Hidrografía to form the Grupo Empresarial GEOCUBA
(GEOCUBA). This organization has taken responsibility for
the national cartographic system, including the 1:25,000
scale topographic map, the 1:10,000 scale rural cadastre, and
some 136 nautical charts of home waters and 68 regional
charts of other parts of the world.
In 1989 the Council of Ministers created a National
Commission for Geographical Names, and a gazetteer was
in preparation for publication in 1994, but no further information
has been obtained about this.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Cuba is available at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (5 sheets, complete coverage, published in 1963);
1:500,000 (12 sheets, complete coverage, published 1983-1987); 1:200,000 (40 sheets, complete coverage, published in 1980-1983) and 1:100,000 (121 sheets, complete coverage,
published 1976-1977). These products are available in print, digital raster and digtal vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.