Djibouti became an independent republic in 1977.
Previously it was called the Territoire Française des Afars et
des Issas, and before that the Côte Française des Somalis,
names which are still found on its mapping.
Topographic mapping was carried out by the French Institut
Géographique National (IGN), and a 12-sheet series of
topographic maps at 1:100,000 scale was started in the
1940s and completed in the 1960s. This map was on a UTM projection, Clarke
1880 ellipsoid, with 25 m interval contours, and was printed
in five colors.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Djibouti exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (3 sheets, complete coverage, published 1981-1984);
1:500,000 (3 sheets, complete coverage, published in 1980); 1:200,000 (9 sheets, complete coverage, published 1978-1979);
1:100,000 (23 sheets, complete coverage, published 1978-1986) and a city (1:10,000) topographic map of Djibouti published in 1980.
These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.