The Commonwealth of Dominica gained full independence
from Britain in 1978, and is now a republic and a member
of the British Commonwealth. The island has been mapped
by the British Directorate of Overseas Surveys (now
Ordnance Survey International (OSI)), with the principal
map being the 1:25,000 scale series of three sheets (DOS
351), first issued in 1961 and plotted from air photography
flown in 1956 with local information provided by the Crown
Surveyor, Dominica. The latest Edition 4 was published in
1978 (reprinted 1988), and printed in process colors. The
projection is Transverse Mercator, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid
(modified), with BWI grid, and contours at 50 ft intervals.
The 1:50,000 scale map (DOS 451) was first issued in 1963.
This was conceived as a tourist map, and incorporated shaded
relief. The third edition (1982) was considerably redesigned,
with the adoption of a more practical road classification, and
the addition of layer tints as well as shading to the 250 ft
interval contours. The latest Edition 5 was revised by
Ordnance Survey from materials provided by the Lands and
Surveys Division (LSD), Roseau and published in 1991.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Dominica is exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (1 sheet, complete coverage, published in 1990);
1:500,000 (1 sheet, complete coverage, published in 1986) and 1:200,000 (2 sheets, complete coverage, published in 1966). These products are available in
print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.