Formerly a British dependency, Grenada acquired full independence
in 1974. The national territory includes the more
southerly of the Grenadines (Grenada Grenadines), including
Carriacou Island and Petite Martinique (for mapping of the
northern Grenadines, see under St Vincent).
Topographic mapping was undertaken by the British
Directorate of Overseas Surveys (DOS) (now Ordnance
Survey International (OSI)) in the 1950s based upon air
survey, the first cover being flown in 1951. The 1:25,000
scale map (DOS 342) in two sheets was first published in
1958; currently, the north sheet is Edition 4 (1979) and the
south sheet Edition 5 (1988). The map is in five colors
with a 50 ft/25 ft contour interval. The projection is
Transverse Mercator, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid (modified), with
BWI grid. The southern Grenadines are represented on two
1:25,000 scale sheets (DOS 344), numbered 5 and 6, the
last revisions of which date respectively from 1978 and 1969.
These particular sheets were derived from contoured
1:10,000 scale sheets (DOS 244).
The derived 1:50,000 scale map of Grenada (DOS 442) was
first published in 1966. This was subsequently redesigned
as a tourist map, entitled Grenada island of spice, and printed
in process colors with shaded relief and 200 ft contours.
There is also a small format map at 1:150,000 scale (DOS
995) covering Grenada and the southern Grenadines.
The DOS also mapped the St. George's area as a contoured
1:2,500 scale series (DOS 042), commencing in 1972 and
reaching completion in 1978, in 39 sheets.
Mapping is now the responsibility of the Lands and Surveys
Department (LSD), St. George's.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Grenada exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (2 sheets, complete coverage, published 1987-1990);
1:500,000 (2 sheets, complete coverge, published 1964-1986) and 1:200,000 (1 sheet, primarily complete coverage, published in 1967). These products are available
in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.