The official mapping agency in Honduras is the Instituto
Geográfico Nacional (IGNH), Comayagϋela (the twin town
of capital Tegucigalpa), founded in 1946, although receiving
its present name in 1966.
Very little of Honduras was mapped before the 1950s, when a
1:50,000 scale series was initiated by the Honduran
Comisión Geográfica Especial in collaboration with the Inter-American
Geodetic Survey (IAGS) and the American Army
Map Service (AMS) (Series E752). 1:60,000 scale air photo
cover was obtained in 1954-56, and horizontal and vertical
control for the mapping was established by the IAGS in the
same period. The 1:50,000 series is in 279 sheets, the first
edition having been completed in 1987, and sheets are
currently available, many in a second edition. The projection
is Transverse Mercator, Clarke 1866 ellipsoid. The
sheets are in the usual 10' X 15' AMS format, printed
in five colors, with a 20 m contour interval and 10 m supplementary
The country has also been covered in a joint 1:250,000 scale
series of 15 sheets, undertaken by the IGNH in cooperation
with the United States Defense Mapping Agency (now
National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA)).
In the late 1980s, a series of departmental maps, one for
each of the 18 departments, were completed at scales of
1:120,000 to 1:350,000. These provide the most up-to-date
topographic mapping of the country, with many sheets now
in a second edition.
In 1984, five sheets at 1:100,000 scale were published in
the border area with El Salvador, but no further sheets have
been published at this scale.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Honduras is available at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (4 sheets, complete coverage, published 1963-1990);
1:500,000 (8 sheets, complete coverage, published 1985-1988); 1:200,000 (9 sheets, southern country coverage, published in 1984) and a city (1:10,000) topographic map
of Tegucigalpa published in 1979. These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.