Formerly a Dutch colony, Suriname became independent in
1975. Systematic mapping of the colony began after World
War II, following the acquisition of air photo cover of the
area north of the 4° parallel flown by KLM Aerocarto in
1947. The present topographic mapping authority is the
Centraal Bureau Luchtkartering (CBL), Paramaribo,
established in 1948.
From 1949, the first topographic sheets were published at
the scale of 1:40,000. These covered only the northern half
of the country, and were based on controlled photo-mosaics
constructed from the KLM photography, which was also at
this scale. Initially these mainly monochrome maps were on
a stereographic projection, Bessel ellipsoid. A 1:100,000
scale series was also initiated and this was extended to the
south of the country following acquisition of aerial photography
of this area in the late 1950s. This series was printed
in monochrome for the north and in three colors for the
area south of the 4° parallel. A series of derived 1:200,000
scale maps was published between 1960 and 1966.
In the 1960s, it was decided to undertake a new primary
triangulation network and re-mapping program. The
1:40,000 scale series was, therefore, terminated. The new triangulation
and levelling were completed over the period
1968-78. New photography was also flown at scales of
1:30,000 in the flatter areas and 1:55,000 in the mountains
and a new series of 1:50,000 scale maps was issued, beginning
in 1978. They cover over half of the country, mainly
in the north, and are on a modified Transverse Mercator
projection, International (Hayford) ellipsoid.
Soviet military topographic mapping exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (4 sheets, complete coverage, published 1966-1984) and
1:500,000 (8 sheets, complete coverage, published 1967-1987). These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats
from East View Geospatial,
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.