The Syrian national mapping agency Service Géographique
de l'Armée (SGA) was founded in 1955. It established
new geodetic networks with a re-triangulation of the
country and new levelling, and started a 1:25,000 scale basic
topographic coverage of Syria in 1962. Mapping extended
to cover the developed western parts of the country in 7.5'
quadrangles. Other topographic coverage at this scale was
compiled with Russian aid in the 1970s, with sheets
conforming to Soviet mapping standards, and published for
the Euphrates valley. A 1:50,000 scale map was derived from
these surveys and extended to desert areas in the east of
Syria, where mapping was compiled from 1:70,000 scale
aerial coverage. Six-color published mapping on the UTM
projection, International ellipsoid, with relief shown by
20 m contours, was completed for the whole country in the
1980s. These officially published series all have Arabic script.
1:200,000 scale mapping of Syria was first produced with
French aid prior to World War II, this 28-sheet series has
been regularly revised, sheets are on the Lambert Conformal
conic projection, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid.
Other small-scale mapping from SGA includes recently
revised single-sheet relief maps published at 1:1,000,000
(available in a French language version) and at 1:750,000
Soviet military topographic mapping of Syria exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (5 sheets, complete coverage, published 1974-1980);
1:500,000 (10 sheets, complete coverage, published 1973-1989); 1:200,000 (48 sheets, complete coverage, published 1972-1985); 1:100,000 (148 sheets, complete coverage,
published 1963-1991) and city (1:10,000) topographic mapping of Damaskus (Damascus), Haleb (Aleppo), Hama, Homs and Latakia published between 1981 and 1987. These products are
available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Copyright © 2014 East View Geospatial, Inc.