Anguilla is a self-governing colony of Britain, briefly linked in an independent union with St. Kitts and Nevis. Following its secession in 1967, it returned to British rule in 1971, acquiring self-governing status in 1976.
The original mapping by the British Directorate of Overseas Surveys (now Ordnance Survey International (OSI)), was a three-sheet series at 1:25,000 scale which included St. Kitts and Nevis (DOS 343). This was published in 1961 and based on air photography flown in 1946 by the USAAF and in 1956 by Hunting. New editions of the Anguilla sheet were published in 1986, with a choice of BWI grid (edition 5) or UTM grid (edition 6). The latest edition 7, also with BWI grid, was published in 1997. Contour interval is 25 ft and the projection is Transverse Mercator, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid (modified).
A 1:50,000 scale topographic map (DOS 443) was published in 1973.
In the early 1980s, densification of the survey control network was undertaken, and a revised and contoured 53-sheet series (DOS 043) covering the whole island at 1:2,500 scale and based on new air photography was published.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Anguilla exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (1 sheet, complete coverage, published in 1966); 1:500,000 (2 sheets, complete coverage, published 1979-1986) and 1:200,000 (1 sheet, complete coverage, published in 1966). These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS data from East View Geospatial.
In 1995, a Coastal resources atlas of Anguilla was published by the UK Natural Resources Institute (NRI) for the Anguilla Government.
A small format road map of the island is produced by Cartographers Ltd.