Formerly a British dependency, Grenada acquired full independence in 1974. The national territory includes the more southerly of the Grenadines (Grenada Grenadines), including Carriacou Island and Petite Martinique (for mapping of the northern Grenadines, see under St Vincent).
Topographic mapping was undertaken by the British Directorate of Overseas Surveys (DOS) (now Ordnance Survey International (OSI)) in the 1950s based upon air survey, the first cover being flown in 1951. The 1:25,000 scale map (DOS 342) in two sheets was first published in 1958; currently, the north sheet is Edition 4 (1979) and the south sheet Edition 5 (1988). The map is in five colors with a 50 ft/25 ft contour interval. The projection is Transverse Mercator, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid (modified), with BWI grid. The southern Grenadines are represented on two 1:25,000 scale sheets (DOS 344), numbered 5 and 6, the last revisions of which date respectively from 1978 and 1969. These particular sheets were derived from contoured 1:10,000 scale sheets (DOS 244).
The derived 1:50,000 scale map of Grenada (DOS 442) was first published in 1966. This was subsequently redesigned as a tourist map, entitled Grenada island of spice, and printed in process colors with shaded relief and 200 ft contours. There is also a small format map at 1:150,000 scale (DOS 995) covering Grenada and the southern Grenadines.
The DOS also mapped the St. George’s area as a contoured 1:2,500 scale series (DOS 042), commencing in 1972 and reaching completion in 1978, in 39 sheets.
Mapping is now the responsibility of the Lands and Surveys Department (LSD), St. George’s.
Soviet military topographic mapping of Grenada exists at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (2 sheets, complete coverage, published 1987-1990); 1:500,000 (2 sheets, complete coverge, published 1964-1986) and 1:200,000 (1 sheet, primarily complete coverage, published in 1967). These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.