The national mapping agency in Angola is the Instituto Geodesía e Cartografia de Angola (IGCA), Luanda. In the colonial period prior to independence in 1975 Portuguese agencies established map series in the country. These were based upon the Polyconic projection, Clarke 1880 ellipsoid, and included a 1:100,000 scale map compiled using aerial photography and modern geodetic control, which was to cover the country in 468 sheets. Photography was completed by 1964 and slow progress was made in the publication of five-color maps, which each covered half-degree quadrangles and showed relief with a 50 m contour interval. A derived 1:250,000 scale series in 60 sheets was available in the mid-1970s. Little is known about the post-independence topographic mapping in the country.
The best available mapping of the country that exists is Soviet military topographic coverage, available at the following scales: 1:1,000,000 (13 sheets, complete coverage, published 1977-1983); 1:500,000 (33 sheets, complete coverage, published 1978-1987) and 1:200,000 (200 sheets, complete coverage, published 1979-1986). These products are available in print, digital raster and digital vector GIS formats from East View Geospatial.
Earth science mapping of Angola is carried out by Direcçao de Serviços de Geología e Minas (DSGM), which compiled full-color geological mapping at 1:100,000 and 1:250,000 scales for some parts of the country prior to the civil war. There is no information about any larger scale geological mapping of the country in the last 20 years, but a number of smaller scale sheets have been published. In 1980-82 the Portuguese Institute de Investigação Cientifica Tropical (IICT) published a colored four-sheet 1:1,000,000 scale geological map of Angola with accompanying booklet, and the South African Council for Geoscience was revising this map early in 1998.
IICT has published single-sheet soil maps of the country and some larger scale provincial soil mapping.
Small-scale general maps of Angola include a tourist sheet from Cartographia, Budapest, and a sheet from Swedish commercial house Esselte.